Saturday, July 28, 2012

Three weeks so far!  Lots of hot, humid weather...but a couple of days of rain now making it cooler.  One of our team members, Marietta from Arizona, slipped on the slick tile by her home and fell and broke her kneecap.  She's now in Udon...Thailand...and following surgery is recuperating.  It's unlikely she will be able to return to teach but we're Hoping she will.  The rest of us are teaching English.  I have two "Writing" classes this coming week and one "Phonetics" class.  Merlynn has three "General English" classes this coming week and will help me in my "Phonetics" class.  I'm learning to be a teacher....not easy!  The students seem to be enjoying us but it's difficult to assess how much they are learning.

We went to the big city this weekend...Vientiane...about 20-30 minute Tuk-Tuk ride from Dong Dok University area where we are living.  Every ride involves negotiating a  price...as does almost every other transaction here.  If I were an experienced poker player, I would be better prepared to put on the right face to do this stuff.  While I'm negotiating, Merlynn is saying "Too much" and walking away!  Seems to work.  They drop their prices most times.  Seems they think I'm not going to just jump into the back of the Tuk Tuk and ride away without her!

More later...big adventures here...two weeks more in Vientiane and Dong Dok!

No comments:

Post a Comment